Binary Challenge, Take Two
So when my original plan for a two-color quilt went south, I started completely over.
This is fairly basic and VERY common version of a feathered star. I have EQ7, so I increased the block size to 24″, fiddled with the layouts, and printed for paper piecing. A couple evenings were all it took to finish all the pieces, and a 3rd to assemble the star.
Then it was on to the border. I wanted something simple but graphic, and I especially liked the diamond “tips” on the star points. So a diamond chain was the answer.
The more I thought about the quilting, the more nervous I got. My HQ16 has some limitations (besides me), and all that open space was intimidating. But Krista had my back and immediately proposed a date with her and the “Tin Man”.
Spending an evening working with Krista is always a treat. Then again, spending ANY time with Krista and her family is a treat. (Full disclosure: I’m crazy in love with them.) She’s a great teacher, generous with her encouragement and enthusiasm. And let’s face it, she can quilt feathers like nobody’s business. I learn so much watching her work.
Once she got it started, I was able to do most of the line work myself, plus the pebbles.
The feathers, obviously, were all Krista. There were lots of hugs.
If I had chosen a binding, it would have been the Kona Snow, so it seemed like the perfect opportunity to try a facing instead. I used a combination of a couple different techniques, plus some mods of my own.
I like how it came out, although I would tweak the process for the corners next time. Hmmm…..might be a tutorial in here someplace.
Just the hanging sleeve and label are left to add, and then it’s off to Island Quilter for the month of January and the Seattle Modern Quilt Guild Binary Challenge exhibit. I can hardly wait to see it hanging in that beautiful space with all the other two-color quilts.