I get that I’m not in charge here. But still.
This tale definitely falls under “share the process”. Or maybe “can this quilt be saved?”
I flunked out on the Seattle MQG star quilt challenge earlier this year. Got the top finished, but not happily, and then couldn’t decide if it was really done, much less how to quilt it. It still isn’t.
Now along comes our Binary quilt challenge. I knew exactly what I pattern I wanted to make, but I had a ridiculous time picking fabrics. I wanted two solids (hard for me), and neither could be white (also hard for me). I tried all kinds of combinations, stacked and re-stacked and researched for weeks. It was crazy.
My last trip to Island Quilter a few weeks ago, I was determined to make a decision and move forward. It took me all day (I was sewing, too) to choose, again pulling different fabrics multiple times. Finally, the deed was done. A lovely Kaffe print for the back, plus two solids for the front.
Washed, pressed and folded. Just waiting for the Loon Lake retreat and dedicated sewing time.
Knowing layout space can be precious, I cut the pieces before I left so I was ready to stitch as soon as we were settled. A fair bit of stitching later, and I had enough pieced to start thinking about layouts. Alternate layouts, in fact. I loved this on point one, but realized pretty quickly that it would be an extra-beast to piece. So back to straight sets.
With fluorescent lighting in the sewing space, I wasn’t TOO worried about what was happening with the colors as I worked. It was a little weird, but not enough to stop.
Unfortunately, it didn’t really improve when I got home. At all. In fact, the colors sort of freaked out Jon (we like to toy with the colorblind guy). I’d pretty much thrown in the towel at this point, admitting defeat on Instagram. Which promptly brought out a string of encouraging comments (except for Krista of Poppyprint pleading the 5th, which is why I love her so).
In the mean time, I pulled out the last of my AH Zhivago Nadya Dots and cut it into melons, adding them to more gold centers and pining it up on the wall, on top of the existing blocks. It got me thinking again, this time about combining the different blocks into one quilt. I’ve cut most of the gold, but I still have a fair bit of the aqua left I could add. I’m inclined to morph diagonally across the quilt, changing blocks as I go. I suspect if I throw in everything I have cut, perhaps with a few varying tones of the aqua & gold, I can get a queen quilt out of it.
Of course, it’s not a binary quilt anymore, but at least I have hope of something interesting happening here if the darn thing will just make up it’s mind what it wants to be.
And if anybody has a great idea for a quick and fun binary quilt pattern, send it my way!