(Nearly) Instant Gratification
My sewing/quilting/mending to-do list is always shamefully long, but it never keeps me from either starting something new, or squeezing in a quick and easy project (or two).
I’ve made different versions of fabric baskets and buckets in the past, but something really clicked when I saw these beauties by Ashley of Film in the Fridge. For one thing, I had a really specific need for both the small and large version for my knitting projects.
And for another, I’ve been hoarding my Melody Miller Ruby Star fabrics. I’m a little ashamed to admit that, as I think fabric is for using but these prints are so special I just couldn’t start chopping it to little bits. Big pieces? Sign me up!!
On the smaller bucket, I used both fusible lightweight interfacing and a layer of mid-weight canvas (basted to the outer fabric). On the larger, I fused the same canvas directly to the back of the exterior fabric. I love the structure of both.
I started with the small bucket, and a moment of distraction was all it took to sew the base to the wrong end of the sides. Directional fabric for the win. Other than that, it went very quickly and I was pleased with the results.
On the larger bucket, I struggled more than a little. It’s SO simple. Or I am. But I couldn’t get the base attached without puckers and tucks. No matter how many times I tried, I couldn’t ease in the extra side fabric. I must have ripped all or part of it out about 6 times (I’m stubborn that way). Finally, in desperation, I started sewing a couple inches after the side seam, and continued until a couple inches before the side seam. I took it off the machine, stitched a deeper side seam, and then finished attaching the base. The only thing I can think of is that fusing the canvas to the outside made it too rigid to ease, but it turned out fine.
And I wasn’t kidding when I said I needed them!