It’s getting closer to being a quilt ~
After last week’s blitz, I’m not setting any speed records so far this week. But I did decide on the quilting design for Pic-a-nic Basket, and I started it this evening.
Because this is a medallion quilt, and perfectly square, I wanted to avoid a directional design. That ruled out all my pattern boards. I considered doing custom quilting, and I even sketched out some ideas for how I would fill the different areas/blocks. But it was going to be a far more intensive process than this quilt needed (it’s going ON THE GROUND). I’ve also done ribbon stipple a couple times lately, and I wanted a little more complexity and movement.
So I dug through my pantographs and found this one:
It’s simple. With as busy as this quilt is, a leaf or floral motif, or even feathers, would be completely lost. I like the stitch density. I can easily work around the center of the quilt (which I still think will need custom work). And I can really use some practice keeping curves smooth and round and consistent. Because as busy as the quilt is on the front, the stitching is going to be visible on the back.
I only did enough to begin to see the design (and get the tension adjusted), but I think it’ll work just fine. Hopefully I’ll be working on binding at Friday’s SMQG Sew-in.
Update: Walked past this a few times last night, and realized I have an easier time freehanding these than following the pantograph. So it’ll be my “inspiration”. I have a knack for missing the obvious.