Picnic quilt progress ~ at last!
I started to post yesterday, but then I got so involved in the quilt I didn’t want to stop. I seem to be on a bit of a roll right now with with crazy-infectious quilts.
After a bit of debate and lots of moving fabric in and out of stacks, I settled on this set. It’s about half the collection, basically the red, light blue and yellow prints (thank goodness for my Aussie fabrics!).
While cutting and sewing and pressing (and sewing and pressing again) the Dresdens, the design changed. I combined the center and the first round, laying the fans directly on the red plaid. That left a bit more open space in the middle than I originally planned, so I made a full dresden plate to fill the center.
In the end I decided to piece the quilt without any solid white/ivory background. It really is meant to be a picnic quilt, after all. I was worried the fans wouldn’t be bold enough on the plaid, but I think they’re fine.
The next round is pinwheel blocks. After that is the blue floral stripe again (maybe), and then jacob’s ladder blocks. Lots of half-square triangles and four patch blocks.
Now if our summer weather would just come back!